Slate floors are best for entryways and kitchen area. It has a very smooth texture and it won’t get stained that quickly. However, because it is a type of flooring suited for high traffic areas, it will get dirty quickly. Even if it is fairly accessible to clean it off, there are a few tips and tricks you should be aware of.
Check out the best tips and tricks to clean your slate floors.
- Make sure you always sweep the floor first so you can get rid of any debris and dust. You can safely use a vacuum too, that has a soft bristle attachment.
- Never use stiff or metal bristles brush. You will only scratch the flooring without even cleaning it.
- When you are mopping the floors, make sure to use a rag mop with cotton fibers. Also, use the same direction so you won’t scatter the dust or dirt from one place to another.
- Use a mixture of two gallons of warm water and 1/4 cup of dish detergent. Make sure to squeeze out your microfiber mop so the flooring won’t get water stains. Moreover, if you don’t find your floors too dirty, you could simply use just plain water.
- NEVER use acidic solutions such as vinegar. Because it is an acidic cleaner, it could discolor the stone, so be aware.
- However, if you use the soapy water mixture, make sure to also rinse it very well with a clean mop and clean water. Again, avoid leaving traces of excess water after mopping – simply remove them with a clean cloth.
Leave your slate floors air dry thoroughly before allowing high traffic again.