After weeks of cooking, the oven gets dirty and full of grease and food scraps. Here’s how you can effectively clean it in 8 simple steps.
– begin by preheating the oven to 150 degrees F
– while the oven is heating, put on a pot of water to boil.
– once the oven has reached 150 F, turn it off and pour 1 cup of ammonia into a heat safe bowl or baking dish and place it on the top rack of the oven.
– place the pot of boiling water on the bottom rack, close the oven door, and leave them both in the oven overnight.
– the next morning, open the oven and remove both the bowl of ammonia and the pot of water.
– don’t dispose of the ammonia; you’ll want to use it later.
– remove the racks and leave the oven door open to air out for 15 minutes.
– add 1-2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap to the ammonia, along with a quart of warm water, and using a heavy-duty nylon scrubbing pad dipped in the ammonia mixture, begin to wipe away the softened grease and grime along the sides and bottom of the oven.
It should be a fairly easy job at this point.